Tuesday, January 12, 2016

I'm Baaack! Weight loss update, Gastric Bypass news

I know that when weight loss blogs quiet down it usually means that the person has stopped losing weight.

Not me.  I lost my blogger password and lost my related google password, so it's all just been a little on the ridiculous side.

I won't waste too much energy saying how I'm going to be maintaining this blog much more faithfully, though that is my plan!!

So, recap:

Weight Watchers was great, my previous blog entries focused around that point in my life.  Meanwhile though, more developments:
  • I had gastric bypass (RNY) on June 15th, 2015.
  • I had emergency gastric bypass exploratory on June 17th, 2015. 
    • Turns out, I had a leak and was going toxic.  I'll do a blog post on that later.
  • I had an extended recovery, it took me about 10 weeks to feel good again.

So, here I am, January 12th of 2016.  That means I'm almost at my 7 month surgery mark.  It's been fantastic.  

Previously, I felt that I had little control over food. 

Weight Watchers helped me keep it at an "acceptable" intake, but life in general seemed to require putting in an extreme amount of effort, thought, calculation into food.

It's hard to live life when you are focused on food all the time.

What am I going to eat next?  What can I afford?  How will I "treat" myself?  How many calories is in that?  Blah blah blah.

I don't know about you, but it just gets old.  Who wants to feel deprived regularly?  Not me.

With my surgery, I don't feel deprived anymore.  I eat a very small amount of food, and feel full.  Satisfied.

Yes, there were "head hunger" issues in the beginning (it's hard to beleive a couple bites could have me feeling stuffed, when I used to like to eat for pleasure and could easily munch down 5 soft tacos and a beefy 5 layer ;) )

Also, the surgery for me doesn't impact the type of foods I can consume.  I had opted for the gastric bypass because one of the common side effects of it is a "dumping syndrome", where basically if you eat something too sugary, too fatty, your body will go ape shit and you'll feel like crap, throw up...basically live in the bathroom for an hour or so.  I wanted that reinforcement, but for me, I didn't get that.  I can munch a fried chicken wing.  I can eat a cookie.  No dumping.

That said, my point is that I can still eat anything, I just have to make a choice to consume what will best serve me.  Since I can't eat much, and don't eat just for the pleasure of it, it's very, very easy to want to make healthy choices.  


I have continued with my measurements, and have been documenting my body changes with pictures.  Some I don't mind sharing now, others I think I will wait for down the road. 

If you are reading this, I hope you are well.  :)



No comments:

Post a Comment