Happy New Year!!! I welcome 2014 with open arms. As I publicly announced to 2014 via Facebook…I am SO in the zone for you! :)
Inspired by Anele, at Success Along the Weigh, I thought I would take some time to reflect on the changes that took place in my life in 2013 because of my weight loss that made me a happier person.
1. I rode a bike with my son!!! Around our neighborhood we go out and about and laugh our heads off… the first time my son was yelling “Mom! Youre doing it youre doing it!!” He was so distracted by me that he plowed into a garbage can full on…he didn’t get hurt, thankfully, but I know he was just in the shock of the moment. ……………. You guys, I don’t recall if I’ve ever detailed what an obstacle my body was for me when I first started to work out. My legs and knees felt so stiff and heavy. I bought a recumbent indoor exercise bike. I couldn’t climb onto it. I had to get a little step ladder out, just to get up onto the bike seat. Once I would get up on that seat I was nervous the whole time that the pin that held the seat in place would snap, and the seat would slam down and break on me. With persistence, I kept riding that bike. I didn’t pay attention to distance, RPM, calorie, time or anything. I had to put extra pillows down on top of the seat because all the pressure of my weight killed KILLED my butt, just sitting there, moving. It sucked bad at first. But, I kept going… My legs started to loosen up. The muscles started to get stretched again beyond their normal movements of walking – which was all they had in their “memory”. After weeks, I could get up on that bike without the step ladder. A couple weeks later, I didn’t need an extra cushion. Now, I can fling myself up onto it without much of a thought. No special seat pads required. Yesterday, I did over 10 miles in 50 minutes with no pain. It amazes me. Something that used to seem so hard is now something that I don’t have to give a second thought to. My workouts on that bike gave me the courage to buy a bike & start riding outside. J
2. I had the courage to try, and actually FIT INTO RIDES at amusement parks this year! First was the bumper cars at Lakeside, then roller coasters at Elitches. Amazing! Not to mention, the turn styles were no problem either.
3. I fit into an airplane seat! Believe me, my heart was pounding before I knew what would happen there…
4. I stopped feeling helpless and started to feel strong & capable.
5. I can now sit Indian style, or some may refer to it as criss-cross-apple-sauce . Before, if I were sitting on the floor with my legs outstretched, I could pull one leg in towards me at a time, using my hands to literally pull my ankle towards me. Without hands I could bend my leg in to an approximately 35* angle. Now, I can cross my legs without hand assistance. I do use my hands to pull one ankle up on top of the other leg for a yoga-like position, but I’ll take that any day over feeling so stiff and unflexible!
6. Speaking of crossing legs, I can now cross my right leg over my left leg, comfortably. That’s something my thick legs were too thick for before. I always sat with my legs straight, at most crossed at the ankles. Next change will be being able to comfortably cross my left leg over my right leg.
7. I tried and loved eating clean, I literally started to crave healthy food instead of my old picks of Taco Bell, Ruffles, and ice cream. I never would have believed that would happen to me.
8. I’ve fit into all my old “skinny” jeans..also known as the jeans I wore before pregnancy. On to the next skinny ;)
I’m still figuring out my goals for 2014…I think it’s good to have a plan, even though it will surely evolve with the year.
How about you? Any personal victories? What goals do you have for 2014?